Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Come Relax! It is Lavender Season

 Last week, since it was lavender Season, I ventured out 
with a friend to Barn Owl Nursery.
 They were celebrating the beauty of lavender.
 It is amazing how many different shades from
deep purple to soft pinks and white.

 I had to share this one because what's not to like
about a small apple tree growing next to a patch of lavender.
 The bumble bees and honey bees are in heaven here.

 
 I could have brought home many things, but I almost resisted.
I did bring home a recipe for Lavender Lemonade.
1 1/2 cups filtered, boiling water
1/4 cup culinary lavender buds, dried
2 cups of lemonade
note: you can use fresh squeeze or  1-12oz frozen lemonade
optional garnish of fresh lavender stalks or sliced lemon

In a stainless steel pan, boil the water, add lavender buds.
Remove from heat, cover pan and let steep for 20 minutes.
Strain out lavender buds.  Cool completely and pour lavender
water into a large glass or ceramic pitcher.
Add lemonade and stir well and chill.
When ready to serve, fill 6 glasses half full with ice cubes,
then the lavender lemonade.  Garnish as desired.


Saying farewell to lavender season.
It has be "swell".
Though tomorrow I will share the lavender in my garden.

6 comments:

Angela McRae said...

Hey, I have some culinary lavender! I am making this recipe ASAP!

Lorrie said...

Is culinary lavender a different variety? I'll be cutting the lavender in my garden soon. It's so pretty just now.

Jeanie said...

Oh Marilyn, it's fabulous! My favorite photo is that last one with the lavender in baskets. I've only just grown lavender -- not culinary. Is there a difference in the plant or just in how it is fertilized/maintained?

Louise-Arden said...

The Lacender is breathtaking ! I love love it!

Mary said...

I could spend an hour in that Adirondack chair just chilling out and breathing in the fragrance!

I think you can use any lavender in cooking can't you?
I've been buying bottles of French lavender lemonade - a bit expensive though - may try making your recipe.
Right now though I'm addicted to Sicilian Limonata - buying every bottle I can get my hands on at HomeGoods!!!! In Sicily the lemons grow everywhere, are huge and so 'lemony', no wonder Limoncello is so delicious too!

Tracy said...

It's good to catch up with you! Sorry to be away so many days... we had a lovely staycation, and we we've been having such good weather we were outdoors most of the time. Gotta grab summer while we can! ;)

What a heavenly place... *BIG SWOON* ... I hope heaven does look like this place. And that sipping lavender lemonade could be a daily thing too. ;) Lovely blooms, and lovely recipe... ((HUGS))